A couple of clarifying questions

Topics: General, Questions and Answers
Sep 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Firstly, please forgive me if these questions have already been answered; in my struggle to find a chat feature that suits my company's needs, it's all become a bit of a blur. I have a couple of questions about Sharepoint Messenger that I would like to ask, just to confirm whether the product would fulfil the role I envisage for it on my company's new intranet.
  1. We are looking to cut down on the number of emails being sent between individuals inside the company and I thought it best to try and answer this issue whilst I develop the company's intranet. Does Sharepoint Messenger ("SM") allow for multiple private chat sessions to exist over a number of subsites?
  2. Is there the option for SM to incorporate a 'broadcast' feature so that one individual can send a simultaneous message to all users? (Another pet hate, but I suppose it has some uses.)
  3. Does SM offer a facility to record all chats, for internal security reason?
  4. How easy is it to tweak SM's UI to match our corporate colours and design? Ideally, I was hoping for something similar, aesthetically, to Facebook's chat.
Many thanks, in advance for any responses I might receive.

Kind regard,

JonRolph
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2013 at 3:05 AM
Hi Jon,
  1. We are looking to cut down on the number of emails being sent between individuals inside the company and I thought it best to try and answer this issue whilst I develop the company's intranet. Does Sharepoint Messenger ("SM") allow for multiple private chat sessions to exist over a number of subsites?
The feature is installed on one site. It was built with the root in mind. If you add the webpart to the subsites and then specify the root site in the webpart properties for which site to use for the list then it should work. I have not had problems with this.
  1. Is there the option for SM to incorporate a 'broadcast' feature so that one individual can send a simultaneous message to all users? (Another pet hate, but I suppose it has some uses.)
No, there is no group chats at this time.
  1. Does SM offer a facility to record all chats, for internal security reason?
I am not sure what you mean with this one. All the chat messages are held in a sharepoint list. only users that are the recipient or the sender are able to see them. (exception for admin or however you have your permissions)
  1. How easy is it to tweak SM's UI to match our corporate colours and design? Ideally, I was hoping for something similar, aesthetically, to Facebook's chat.
Hmm, the webpart uses jQuery UI for the dialogs. I would imagine you would need to write your own front-end and use the web services. A lot of the code could be copied from the javascript file for loading/sending messages and then just design around it.
Sep 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Steve,

Thank you for the quick response. We've decided to go ahead and try and use Sharepoint Messenger on our system; this is where we've hit a slight issue.

After speaking with the company who host our SBS server, they installed the .wsp as directed in the installation notes, but I was unable to activate SM through the website. I spoke with the hosters and they came back with this: http://gyazo.com/fca84ccedf01bb9226e49d30632f9367 (for some reason, I can't get the image to show here).

Any ideas?
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Hi Jon, I would suggest retracting and removing the currently installed sharepoint messenger, unless this is some other product that is in use? After removing make sure that there are no SharePoint Messenger permission, no SharePoint Messenger group and no Chat Messages list. If there are just manually remove them; then add the solution back, redeploy and enable the site then the site web features.

This has been an ongoing project and it's in beta. If there are further issues I can take a look.

Jun 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM
When you say it was built with the root in mind, do you mean web application or site collection? I cannot get it to work on a site collection within a web application, except for the top-level site collection - i.e. http://www.domain.com works, whereas the site collection http://www.domain.com/sitecollection does not work. I get "Could not load contacts at this time" in the messenger contact list webpart and "Could not load messages at this time" when trying to send a message. ULS logs unfortunately are of no help. I've redeployed the feature, restarted timer service, ensured permissions are set correctly, etc. You mention if adding the webpart to a subsite to specify the "root site" in the webpart properties - where in the webpart properties should this be? All I see are the Appearance, Layout, and Advanced sections in the properties with nothing close to specifying which site to use for the list. Does this only work on the top-level site collection of a web application?
Thanks in advance,
Tyler